Your child is scheduled for a circumcision. This is the surgical removal of the foreskin from the head of the penis. Please follow the following instructions after surgery to ensure a good result. You will need to make a post-op appointment for 2 weeks after surgery.
- Leave the bandage/gauze on the penis for 2 days, allow the dressing to come off in a warm water bath (no soap to area). Don’t worry, should the dressing come off before 2 days.
- Apply Vaseline around surgery site after every urination (minimum 3-4 times per day) for 1 week.
- Keep diapers as loose as possible to prevent rubbing on the tip of the penis.
- The skin of the penis should stay pulled back. If it slips over the incision, gently push it back with your fingers.
- There may be swelling at the surgery site after the surgery. This will go away in approximately 1-2 weeks.
- Please DO NOT use A&D ointment, Desitin or creams on penis area.
What to Expect:
- Mild discoloration and small amounts of bleeding for 1-2 days.
- Swelling for 1-2 weeks post-operatively
Watch for the following problems and call our office if:
- Discharge from the penis, or entire penis is a purple color
- No urine output for 8 hours while awake following surgery
- Temperature above 101 Fahrenheit or 39 Centigrade (rectal)
- Problems with eating, vomiting, bowel movements, or urination
- Do not tub bathe until 2-3 days after surgery
- Give a sponge bath until then
- Infants may return to daycare at any time as long as you instruct caretakers on how to take care of the penis.
- Children may sleep on their stomachs if it is comfortable
If you have any questions call the office at 404-252-7900 to speak with one of our staff members. If it is after hours and your child is having a problem call our office and you will be directed to our answering service who can page Dr. Stovroff.